This course will be one week long introductory course in tree breeding, with special emphasis on modern technologies which are finding their place in Tree Breeding. The course will draw on skills from the South African industry and universities.
The content includes:
- Introduction to Quantitative genetics
- Introduction to breeding strategies
- Introduction to Selection and BLUP
- Genetic gains
- Trial designs
- Molecular genetics and tree breeding
- Pests and diseases and tree breeding
- Wood properties and tree breeding
- Tree breeding and Data management
- Vegetative propagation and tree breeding
- Transformation: GM and polyploidy
Practical sessions will be included.