30th September – 4th October 2019 and 7 – 9th October 2019
Dr Steve Verryn has championed many tree breeding courses over the years, both in South Africa and abroad. These courses have drawn people from over 130 countries. The courses have ranged from general introductory courses to specialist tree breeding management, BLUP and genetic gains modelling courses.
This course will be one week long introductory course in tree breeding, with special emphasis on modern technologies which are finding their place in Tree Breeding. The course will draw on skills from the South African industry and universities.
The content includes:
- Introduction to Quantitative genetics
- Introduction to breeding strategies
- Introduction to Selection and BLUP
- Genetic gains
- Trial designs
- Molecular genetics and tree breeding
- Pests and diseases and tree breeding
- Wood properties and tree breeding
- Tree breeding and Data management
- Vegetative propagation and tree breeding
- Transformation: GM and polyploidy
Practical sessions will be included.
Attendees can choose between registering for only the course or only the field visit or for both course and field visit combined.
Early bird rates apply before 1 August 2019.
- Course [Excluding accommodation]
- South African: R 18 700(Vat inclusive) [Early bird: R 16 800]
- Other nationalities: US$ 1 300 [Early bird: $ 1 170]
We recommend that you book your accommodation on site.
Recommended accommodation: https://www.futureafrica.science/index.php/campus/accommodation
- The course will be held in Pretoria, South Africa.
- Venue: Future Africa, University of Pretoria, Pretoria. https://www.futureafrica.science/index.php/campus/conference-facilities
- The international delegates attending the field training will be picked up at King Shaka International Airport on Sunday, 6th October, 2019 and returned to the airport on the morning of Thursday 10th October, 2019. The field training will be based at Ingeli Lodge hotel, Weza, southern KwaZulu-Natal, with the last night (for international visitors) near a nursery at King’s Grant guest house.
Early Bird Price: Before 1 August 2019
You may also like a field visit…