CREATION BREEDING INNOVATIONS SOFTWARE DEVELOPER
Applications to be sent to: Steve Verryn at email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 7th September 2020
About Creation Breeding Innovations
Creation Breeding Innovations (https://www.creationbreeding.co.za/) was established by the well-known scientist in the forestry industry, Dr Steve Verryn, in 2010 with the vision to provide innovative solutions in breeding – particularly of trees, making genetics useful. Creation Breeding Innovations has developed sought after software covering breeding data and pedigree management; biotechnology data management; and multi-trait, multi-site BLUP. Breeding and genetic courses as well as strategies, reviews and assistance with breeding programs are also offered by Creation Breeding Innovations.
To assist with programming required for the Bioplasm project, which is a joint project between the University of Pretoria and Creation Breeding Innovations. The project entails development of a database and analytical/visualization tools to support molecular tree breeding in South Africa. Further details will be given on request or in the interview.
A short-term contract will be created for the fulfillment of the project requirements and may lead into further contract work with Creation Breeding Innovations. The package is negotiable.
Key Purpose of Role
The role will require the individual to write and implement code for data migration and ensure that the populated database can be queried by users. Enhancements on Bioplasm as specified by the design team.
Areas of Responsibility may include but are not limited to
- Conceptualise, plan and execute end-to-end data migration solution delivery
- Interact with business leads and other stakeholders to establish information needs
- Potential to lead the creation, enhancement and implementation of newer IT standards and processes
- Develop code / code improvements according to agreed specifications.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in either Computer Science or Informatics
- Advanced proficiency in Python and SQL
- Proficiency in Django is an added benefit
- Strong communication skills
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong ability to program independently
- Keep to or beat project timelines
- Self-starter and problem solver
- Curious and eager to know “why”
- A focus on delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Comfortable with change
- Strong SQL query writing ability (across database environments)